For more lists, have a look at this page.
Here is the list of 20 20th-century poetry books that poet and editor CJ Evans put together for me. (I’m posting this because some people asked to see it earlier this week.)
Some caveats: CJ was quick to say that this isn’t a “best of” or “required reading” list. This was simply his response to my question, “I want to know more about poetry–what do you recommend?” Also, I/we know Emily Dickinson didn’t write in the 20th century. No need to point that out.
Wallace Stevens — Collected Works
Emily Dickinson — Master Letters
John Ashbery — Self-Portrait in a Convex Mirror
Louis Zukofsky – A
John Berryman — The Dream Songs
Sylvia Plath — Ariel (esp. the “Bee Poems”)
Cesar Vallejo — Trilce (trans. by Eshleman)
Zbigniew Herbert — Mr. Cogito
Lyn Hejinian — My Life
Gertrude Stein — Tender Buttons
Mary Ruefle — Various
D.A. Powell — Chronic (or Cocktails)
Mary Jo Bang — Elegy
Zachary Schomburg — The Man Suit
Jenny Boully — The Body
Timothy Donnelly — The Cloud Corporation
Sam Amadon — Like a Sea
Inger Christensen — alphabet
Claudia Rankine — Don’t Let Me Be Lonely
You Might Also Like:
More from Conversational Reading:
- 20th-Century Compositions A couple weeks ago, New Yorker critic Alex Ross gave an MP3-driven tour of 20th-century composition. These are works that do "not to represent all...
- New Poetry Wanted Poetry Magazine calls for new poetry: A new poetry becomes necessary not because we want one, but because the way poets have learned to write...
- 21st Century Lit It’s obviously a little early for this, but fun nonetheless: The Millions speculates about a 21st-century literature syllabus. They’re doing it on behalf of an...
- Top Ten Books I Read This Year Right about now everyone and their mother is coming out with a list of the top ten books from 2004. I’m not sure that I’m...
- The Ulysses of Poetry Recently, I've been getting into 20th-century poetry in a fairly serious way. I've read Plath, I've read Eliot, I've read a good chunk of Wallace...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.