And then there were ten (plus five poetry finalists). Press release and whatnot here.
This is a real strong fiction list.
The 2011 BTBA Fiction Finalists (in alphabetical order by author):
The Literary Conference by César Aira, translated from the Spanish by Katherine Silver (New Directions)
The Golden Age by Michal Ajvaz, translated from the Czech by Andrew Oakland (Dalkey Archive)
A Life on Paper by Georges-Olivier Châteaureynaud, translated from the French by Edward Gauvin (Small Beer)
The Jokers by Albert Cossery, translated from the French by Anna Moschovakis (New York Review Books)
Visitation by Jenny Erpenbeck, translated from the German by Susan Bernofsky (New Directions)
Hocus Bogus by Romain Gary (writing as Émile Ajar), translated from the French by David Bellos (Yale University Press)
The True Deceiver by Tove Jansson, translated from the Swedish by Thomas Teal (New York Review Books)
On Elegance While Sleeping by Emilio Lascano Tegui, translated from the Spanish by Idra Novey (Dalkey Archive)
Agaat by Marlene Van Niekerk, translated from the Afrikaans by Michiel Heyns (Tin House)
Georg Letham: Physician and Murderer by Ernst Weiss, translated from the German by Joel Rotenberg (Archipelago)
The 2011 BTBA Poetry Finalists (in alphabetical order by author):
Geometries by Eugene Guillevic, translated from the French by Richard Sieburth (Ugly Ducking)
Flash Cards by Yu Jian, translated from the Chinese by Wang Ping and Ron Padgett (Zephyr Press)
Time of Sky & Castles in the Air by Ayane Kawata, translated from the Japanese by Sawako Nakayasu (Litmus Press)
Child of Nature by Luljeta Lleshanaku, translated from the Albanian by Henry Israeli and Shpresa Qatipi (New Directions)
The Book of Things by Aleš Šteger, translated from the Slovenian by Brian Henry (BOA Editions)
You Might Also Like:
More from Conversational Reading:
- Best Translated Book Award 2011 Longlist 25 translated novel-length books for your enjoyment. Most of them I can vouch for. Press release at Three Percent. . . . continue reading, and...
- Best Translated Book Award Shortlist The shortlist for the 2010 Best Translated Book Award was announced tonight in NYC. For those who weren’t there, I’ve done a little article about...
- Best Translated Book Award Winner and Party Alas, so much cool stuff happens on the East Coast that I’m not able to attend. And here’s a great example: tomorrow Chad Post et...
- Best Translated Book Shortlist Party If you’re in NYC tonight, drop by for the announcement of the 10-title Best Translated Book shortlists, both for fiction and poetry. As Chad says:...
- Best Translated Book Award Longlist 2009 Chad over at Three Percent has just published the BTB 2009 longlist. You can also see the list below. I don't want to say too...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.