Great article here about how independent bookstores should compete with Amazon, which is essentially by not competing with Amazon. The fact is that indie bookstores will never out-Amazon Amazon, because they got into their business because they love books, and Jeff Bezos invented Amazon because he loves technology.
So, indies should emphasize their strengths, which tend to be Amazon’s weaknesses:
Here in the Boston area, two bookstores have managed to not only survive but thrive: the Harvard Bookstore (not affiliated with Harvard University) in Cambridge and Brookline Booksmith in Brookline. These two stores have a few elements in common that have undoubtedly contributed to their lasting success:
- In addition to new books, they also sell a great selection of used titles at lower prices.
- They have robust websites that offer options to buy online with quick local delivery (the Harvard Bookstore even offers next-day delivery by bicycle to select areas) as well as blog posts and features.
- They have interesting and revelatory staff selections.
- They each host over 100 readings a year (Brookline Booksmith hosts around 150, and Harvard Bookstore is closer to 300).
- Both stores have been enthusiastic with their response when approached by Black Ocean to sell our titles.
Pretty much every indie that I’ve seen flourish in the Bay Area is doing similar stuff.
You Might Also Like:
More from Conversational Reading:
- Price Wars Hurt Indies The Guardian looks at the effects of big box price wars on independent bookstores. The problem, independent booksellers claim, is that publishers accord huge discounts...
- SF Indie Bookstore Tour This Saturday Join us this Saturday for our walking tour of five great indie bookstores. There's been some great publicity for this event so far. It all...
- SF Indie Bookstore Tour Update For the walking tour of SF Indie Bookstores happening on Saturday, July 25, we’ve confirmed a reception to conclude the tour at our final stop,...
- Indie Bookstores Holding Up? Irene Sege's article in The Boston Globe is, in my opinion, pretty lazy reporting. It takes an anecdote that may or may not be meaningful...
- Independent Bookstores This seems to be "decline of independent bookstores" week, with a Slate article and Paul Collins’s VLS article. Over at Slate, Tyler Cowen makes the...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.