Opening the PEN World Voices Festival, Salman Rushdie has declared that the example of Roberto Bolano proves that there are tons of great writers still unknown in English. So American publishers, get going:
el reconocimiento en EU del fallecido escritor chileno Roberto Bolaño y
animó al mercado editorial estadounidense a tomar nota e impulsar más
traducciones al inglés de obras de éxito.
"El éxito tardío de Roberto Bolaño (1953-2003) con 2666 es una muestra de lo poco que se traduce en Estados Unidos", dijo el célebre autor de Los versos satánicos
durante la presentación en la sede del Instituto Cervantes de Nueva
York de la quinta edición del Festival Internacional de Literatura del
It's surprising that this hasn't gotten more play. GalleyCat has video clips from his speech, but no mention of the Bolano.
Of course, Rushdie is absolutely right. And if publishers don't want to do it for higher aspirations of opening a dialog with the world, well, there's a lot of very marketable material out there in other languages. Instead of trudging through the notebooks of famous deceased authors, more publishers should be finding out which authors currently working in other countries would sell in America.
- How to Publish in a Recession
- Goldman and Wimmer on Bolano's Legacy
- The Bolano Myth
- Chad Post on the Costs of Marketing a Translation
More from Conversational Reading:
- 3x Bolaño in The Nation Roberto Bolaño gets triple coverge in The Nation, including, impressively, a review of one of his titles not yet available in English. Happy as I...
- Salman Rushdie The Literary Saloon makes an interesting point about Salman Rushdie. After three unsuccessful novels in a row, perhaps he’s done. Far from a tragedy, we’d...
- NYT Reports on The Bolano Myth Readers will remember that about a month ago there was a kerfuffle over whether or not Roberto Bolano used heroin. In case you haven’t heard...
- Someone Translate Daniel Sada After reading this review in Letras y Libres, I’m amazed that none of Daniel Sada’s novels are available in English. (Although, to Dalkey’s credit, a...
- Mucho Bolaño Among other offerings in a strong, new edition of HermanoCerdo, you can read two essays dealing with Roberto Bolaño. One is by me and deals...
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.